Ultimate Guide: What is Toner and Why we need it
In the name of beauty and skin care, there is a vast number of skin care products to behold, from face masks, washes, to toners, etc. Name it, and they are readily available in the market nowadays. Their soaring popularity is not a surprise because they promise to keep your skin, flawless, healthy and young-looking.
Generally, speaking, caring for your skin is one of the best ways for it to look healthy and youthful but you can also check out more ways on How to Look Younger here. To care for your skin, you’ve probably heard of the two most common steps to apply. One is washing your face with cleansers and two, is toning your skin with the use of a skin toner.
You may have heard about facial cleansers, but what is toner? What are toners for?
What is toner? What are toners for?
A skin care toner is a product that has the consistency of water and is mainly used every after washing the face. Toners have cool sensations and they are used for makeup removal, acne treatment and prevention as well as keeping the skin look smooth and healthy. You usually use a cotton ball when applying the toner onto the skin.
The advantages of using toner for face
- Minimizes Pores. Acne breakout is highly possible if you have large pores because this makes it easy for dust, dirt and bacteria to enter the pores. Toners can minimize large pores, making your skin look tighter and smother.
- Acne Treatment and Prevention. The ability of toners to minimize pores as well as their ability to dry out the skin are reasons why these products are mainly used for the treatment of acne.
- Oily Skin Management. Having oily skin can be totally annoying. You wouldn’t want to look shiny all the time. Plus, having oily skin makes you more prone to acne breakouts. As much as possible, you would want to be able to manage your oily skin well and you can do this when you use toners since they can control the production of excess oil on your face.
- Cleanses and Detoxifies. Toners can also cleanse your facial skin from dust and dirt as well as remove makeup residue from your face. But it is not enough to simply clean your face by removing visible elements there. This is why toners should come after cleansing because their purpose is to deeply cleanse the face that the facial wash may have overlooked like acne-causing bacteria.
- Hydrate and Nourish. Toners may have the reputation of making skin dry but there are also toners specifically made to moisturize your skin so even if it dries out all the bacteria and acne, it is still effective in making your skin look vibrant and nourished.
The downsides of using toners
- The Presence of Alcohol and Chemicals. Most of the time, toners have alcohol as well as some synthetic toners come with chemical ingredients. This is the reason why they can dry out your skin. This is also the reason why some people’s skin gets irritated, especially those who have sensitive skin.
- Over-Dryness of the Skin. Yes, the ability of toners to dry the skin can be helpful in removing acne however, most of the time, toners can cause over-dryness of the skin which still does not make your skin look healthy but dull.
What makes the best toner to use then?
Since toners are important in your beauty regime, it may not be good to totally ban them from your life. You just have to know what makes the best skin toner to use. There are lots of toners in the market and only if you pick the right product can you appreciate the great role of toner in your beauty regime.
First, choose a toner that fits your skin type. Many people experience toner side effects because they are not using the right product for their skin type. If you have dry skin, choose moisturizing toners. If you have sensitive skin, choose the one that can soothe your sensitive skin.
Second, natural toners are toners that do not contain harmful ingredients and they also do not contain alcohol. If you want to reap the benefits of toners but you don’t want them to cause harm to your skin, natural skin toners are the best options for you. Plus, they are also cheaper.
Best natural toner ingredients
The best thing about natural toners is that they are really made from natural ingredients. While many would say, they aren’t as effective as the synthetic ones, maybe it is because they do not contain the right natural ingredients or if they do, they only contain a small percentage of that ingredient and the rest is water already. To find the best natural toner, take note of these significant ingredients.
- Alcohol-free witch hazel. This ingredient serves as a very potent natural astringent that has the ability to remove excess oil even without alcohol. Witch hazel itself can do what the alcohol does.
- Orange Blossom. This ingredient also has natural acidity that makes it a good astringent and since this is rich in vitamin C, it has natural detoxifying and healing abilities.
- Green Tea. This is a natural antioxidant ingredient. If the product contains this ingredient, then it will be effective in keeping your skin healthy and free from toxins.
- Aloe Vera. Even though natural toners contain natural ingredients, they are still very potent ingredients and to balance their potency and protect those with sensitive skin, the best natural toner must also contain aloe Vera as this has the ability to moisturize the skin.
Curing acne and making your skin look healthy and youthful need not be a harmful endeavor for your skin. Sure, there are lots of toners out there, making it easy for you to keep your skin acne-free and healthy but always remember that the safest option is still the best.
Checking the labels before buying toners is, therefore, a must. You can also solve your acne problems by checking out the Best Face Masks for Acne Prone Skin here.